开卡车追德州教堂凶手的西部牛仔,昨天事件的第二个英雄 zt

来源: yzout 2017-11-06 07:54:26 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (12887 bytes)

Play Video 1:35
Texas shooting eyewitness recounts how he chased the shooter

Johnnie Langendorff told The Washington Post how he helped race after the shooter who killed dozens of people on Nov. 5 in Sutherland Springs, Tex. (Dina Parkinson/The Washington Post)

Johnnie Langendorff stumbled into the crossfire — a total accident.

Sunday morning was all routine until then. Langendorff — a lanky Texan with a fuzzy chin beard and the long horns of a bull’s skull tattooed across his neck — had breakfast. Then he was driving his truck on the dusty back streets to his girlfriend’s house nearby. When he approached the First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs, he noticed something odd.

As he passed the churchgoers’ cars parked around the white wood front of the building, he saw that one vehicle’s engine was running. It was a pearl-colored SUV, a Ford Explorer, he said. The driver’s door was open. A man clad all in black was walking toward the vehicle with a pistol. He was trading shots with another man holding a rifle.

“I never got a look at him,” Langendorff explained to reporters later, his mouth working a toothpick, when asked about the black-clad shooter. “I never really saw him. I saw the gunfire.”

The man in black hauled off in his SUV. The second man with the rifle — a neighbor unidentified as of Sunday night — came to Langendorff. The two men were strangers. “He briefed me quickly on what had just happened and said he had to get him,” Langendorff said later. “So that’s what I did.”

As the two men shot off in pursuit in Langendorff’s truck, 26 First Baptist worshipers were dead or bleeding out on the sanctuary’s maroon carpet. Dozens were wounded. Sunday’s burst of violence would later be recognized as the fifth worst shooting in modern U.S. history, arriving just a month after 58 concertgoers were murdered in Las Vegas.

Authorities said at least 26 people were killed in a shooting at First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs in South Texas on Nov. 5. (Patrick Martin, Elyse Samuels, Bastien Inzaurralde/The Washington Post)

The Texas victims’ ages ran from 5 to 72, according to authorities, though one family said a 1-year-old died. The shooter, identified now as Devin Patrick Kelley, first opened fire on the outside of the church just after 11 a.m. with a Ruger assault rifle. Kelley, clad in black tactical gear, then sprayed the building’s inside with bullets. He hastily fled the scene after engaging in a gun battle with a neighbor, the same man subsequently riding shotgun in Langendorff’s truck.

“It was more see and do,” Langendorff later told reporters. “Act now, ask questions later.”

Blasted with adrenaline, Langendorff wove his truck at high-speed through traffic while trying to catch the fleeing car. The speedometer crossed 95 mph while the driver narrated everything to law enforcement. “I was on the phone with dispatch the entire time,” he said. “I gave them the direction we were going, on what road and everything, and that the vehicle was in sight and that I was getting closer and closer to him.”

Kelley’s vehicle, however, broke from the roadway and crashed into a ditch about 11 miles north of the church. Langendorff pulled his own truck within 25 yards.

“The gentleman that was with me got out, rested his rifle on my hood and kept it aimed at him, telling him to get out, get out. There was no movement, there was none of that. I just know his brake lights were going on and off, so he might have been unconscious from the crash or something like that, I’m not sure,” he said.

Police were on the scene within five to seven minutes, Langendorff said Sunday night. Freeman Martin, a regional director for the Texas Department of Public Service, told The Post authorities had yet to determine whether Kelley was killed by a self-inflicted gunshot wound or hit in the gunfire at the church. Multiple weapons were found in Kelley’s vehicle.

On Sunday night, Langendorff explained his reaction to the shooting — jumping into a car chase — was a simple calculation. “He just hurt so many people, he affected so many people’s lives, why wouldn’t you want to take him down?”

所有跟帖: 

枪手也是德州人,确实彪悍(一下子伤亡了50来个),你也赞吗? -千度- 给 千度 发送悄悄话 千度 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/06/2017 postreply 08:12:12

德州教堂事件说明,拥枪不能防止屠杀。 -千里一盏灯- 给 千里一盏灯 发送悄悄话 千里一盏灯 的博客首页 (107 bytes) () 11/06/2017 postreply 08:10:00

芝加哥说明禁枪不能防止枪杀。 -bustout- 给 bustout 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/06/2017 postreply 08:13:33

说明禁枪不彻底。 没有枪何来枪杀 ? -红新- 给 红新 发送悄悄话 红新 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/06/2017 postreply 08:14:29

局部控枪没有用的 -千里一盏灯- 给 千里一盏灯 发送悄悄话 千里一盏灯 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/06/2017 postreply 08:15:23

巴黎说明禁枪不能防止屠杀。 -bustout- 给 bustout 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/06/2017 postreply 08:19:48

只能说不能杜绝屠杀,但你要是懂一点统计的话,就能理解禁枪能大幅度减少屠杀。 -千度- 给 千度 发送悄悄话 千度 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/06/2017 postreply 08:22:22

乡下没有枪等于待毙 -bustout- 给 bustout 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/06/2017 postreply 08:24:41

中国是独裁国家, 美国不是 -bustout- 给 bustout 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/06/2017 postreply 08:32:02

啥意思?不是独裁国家的人民就该被杀呀? -千里一盏灯- 给 千里一盏灯 发送悄悄话 千里一盏灯 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/06/2017 postreply 08:32:58

那么说拥枪是一种文化,而不是保护生命不受威胁 -山中农夫- 给 山中农夫 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/06/2017 postreply 08:44:15

你就自己进情发挥吧。 是楼上非要把中国这个不同制度国家拉进来和美国比 -bustout- 给 bustout 发送悄悄话 (111 bytes) () 11/06/2017 postreply 08:38:08

那你就比比澳大利亚嘛,澳大利亚的枪支管控情况你自己Google去,恕不教你 -千度- 给 千度 发送悄悄话 千度 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/06/2017 postreply 08:40:47

我忽然认识到在对牛弹琴,我的错 -千度- 给 千度 发送悄悄话 千度 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/06/2017 postreply 08:51:20

搞到澳大利亚啦, 那里非法移民泛滥, MS-13入住你家小区? -bustout- 给 bustout 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/06/2017 postreply 08:51:06

国情不同,完全没有可比性. -八落- 给 八落 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/06/2017 postreply 08:50:47

防止屠杀可以尝试其它方法,但已经证明拥枪无效。 -千里一盏灯- 给 千里一盏灯 发送悄悄话 千里一盏灯 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/06/2017 postreply 08:22:45

至少大幅度减少枪支引起的大屠杀。 -红新- 给 红新 发送悄悄话 红新 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/06/2017 postreply 08:23:43

每次都坏事变好事 浓浓的民族风 -world1peace- 给 world1peace 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/06/2017 postreply 14:20:08

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”