I know you meant well

来源: vest2005 2010-08-11 06:52:45 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 0 次 (2007 bytes)
While I wholehearted believe that breast milk is best for babies, I think the pressure to exclusively breast feeding is too high on new mothers these days (at least where I live). New mothers face enormous pressure from themselves and those around them trying to exclusively breast feed from day one, resulting in incredible amount of stress, pain and tears. Instead of educating new mothers on how to breast feed, potential obstacles and possible solutions in breastfeeding, there are way too many rehotics such as "my way or no way", "sure, everyone can do it", "if you don't do it, you are either an idiot or a bad mom" etc. etc. (maybe not those exact words, but that's the takeaway any reader would extract). The fact is, breast feeding is NOT easy, it takes a lot of work, and there are unique issues facing breast feeding moms and babies (more likely to get jaundice, need vitamin supplements early, babies are more likely to have gas problems, moms need to restrict the diet, etc. etc., not to mention the need to feed more often) So, please, while lecturing moms on how great breast milk is (which is indeed a fact), please paint the whole picture and give helpful guidance. Lecturing people with slogans and putting tons of pressure on new moms are totally counterproductive when moms all of a sudden get blindsided by all the realistic issues. The most important element of breastfeeding is to relax. Being stressed out all the time does not help one bit. And for those who truly cannot breast feed for physical reasons (and these situations DO exit!), or those have to wane the babies early due to work/family reasons, please tell them that that does not make them bad moms. The fact is, although breast milk is the best, baby formula these days is really quite advanced and almost as good. Keep in mind only happy moms make good moms.

I am typing this as a breast feeding mom. I am just sick and tired of those rehotics. Or I am just tired (five feedings a night does not help.)

所有跟帖: 

Well-said! -snoopybaby- 给 snoopybaby 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 08/11/2010 postreply 07:19:25

Breast-feeding or not should be a personal choice. I believe -h1b0711- 给 h1b0711 发送悄悄话 (234 bytes) () 08/11/2010 postreply 08:08:44

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”