My experience in parade (NYC)

来源: Giantfan 2008-02-06 08:53:39 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (4439 bytes)
My office building is located next to Battery Park so I have a decent view on Broadway. I got out the Subway station around 8:15am and found out that the cops started to block the roads. It was still early but there were a lot of people dressed in blue wandering on the street already. The majority were teenagers with exciting looks on their faces (good excuse to cut school huh?)

The front entry access of my building was temporarily suspended due to incoming parade. I had to get into the building through the rear door that I have never used before. Having a little bit of problem to find it but I had a cheerful mind. The weather condition was cloudy and overcast. Temperature was around 40s.

Nobody wanted to work that morning. Once the long arm of our office clock pointed at 9, my office people started to pick our favorite window spot (you know those big tall windows in ancient European style structures). We put cardboards on sills to make relatively safe observation posts. We tried to get as many papers as possible, wastes from shredders, recycled printer papers, newspapers. Someone even pulled out the bathroom tissue papers (unused ones of course). We had all “ammo” prepared and just waited for the show to begin.

The Giants buses (around 6 Mercedes buses) arrived in 10:45pm and the crowds began to scream. We were in prone position and stretched our necks out trying to see any one of the players. To our disappointment, nobody except one got off the buses. That person held the silver trophy high and ran into the Indian Museum across the street. Our eyeballs followed the trophy holder into the building then we spotted five cops standing on top of the museum. “Snipers”, an anxious co-worker yelled out. Why did they need snipers in a parade?

We couldn’t see what happened in Battery Park because my office faces Broadway. Around 11:15am, the sudden erupt of loud crowd noises indicated that parade had begun. The parade was led by three consecutive sanitation trucks with a raised plow in front of them! (Why the heck did they need minesweepers for?) Six horse-policemen slowly followed with two sanitation workers at their tails. While I wondered what they were doing behind the horses, some horses shitted on the street (the horses were nervous). The sanitation worker reacted quickly and shoveled the manure into their mobile wheeled garbage cans (good job guys). Then another sanitation truck came up with tens of reporters standing in. Yeah right, the media people are plain garbage.

Finally the Giants show up. A row of cops holding different kinds of flags led the way. They were followed by a large marching band. A Toyota sponsored convertible with a huge Giant Logo at front was next. Two old guys sat at the back and waved to the crowds with one finger on air (index not middle, mind you), that got everybody crazy. The crowd started to chant: “Go Giants.”

Another marching band walked up. They halted in front of our building to play an unfamiliar music (to me) but the crowd echoed in unison “Yeah” once the music paused every five seconds. Then Eli Manning and Michael Strahan showed up in a float after them.

Confetti time! We jumped off the windows and threw our papers out the windows. It was windy and the wind carried our papers back into office. We couldn’t give up (like the Giants). We moved some fans to counter the current and our papers flew up to air. People from the other buildings did the same and some of their papers even flew into our office. It was fun.

We dumped tons of papers out and missed most of the floats. When I went back to my spot, I only caught some High School marching bands. Fort Hamilton High School has a gorgeous flag girl team dressed with blue/white short skirt. There were 5 beautiful Chinese long hair/long leg girls (I love long hair girls) but I forgot to bring my camera to work (damn!). I started to look for my high school but no, they were not there.

The parade ended in 12pm but continued up to city hall but I couldn’t follow them. Too bad I had to work. Eli does look like a shy high school kid. He didn’t know what to do at the beginning on the float. Michael Strahan signaled him to raise up the trophy and smiled to the crowd. The Crowd chanted: “Eli, Eli, Eli” to respond to Eli’s wave. Great time.

所有跟帖: 

thnx for the awesome report! -ppteam- 给 ppteam 发送悄悄话 (72 bytes) () 02/06/2008 postreply 09:03:33

Used to work on 50th st, was moved down here 2 yrs ago, lucky me -Giantfan- 给 Giantfan 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 02/06/2008 postreply 11:07:29

awesome -nuxrl- 给 nuxrl 发送悄悄话 nuxrl 的博客首页 (676 bytes) () 02/06/2008 postreply 09:58:34

Two old guys even sat on the sill in order to bend forward -Giantfan- 给 Giantfan 发送悄悄话 (211 bytes) () 02/06/2008 postreply 11:13:33

Thanks for sharing, God bless New York! -风中的云- 给 风中的云 发送悄悄话 风中的云 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/06/2008 postreply 16:44:01

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”