Mission Impossible featured by Tom C.

来源: Giantfan 2008-02-04 08:31:45 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (4935 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ Giantfan ] 在 2008-02-04 09:00:56 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.
Coughlin (not Cruise, lol) and his young Giants team. After Tom Brady’s desperate long pass was knocked down by the Giants SS G. Wilson, I pumped my fist to the air, we did it, yeah baby, WE DID IT!

There is no better thing to close the Giants impressive postseason with a perfect giant upset over the “greatest team in the NFL history” in the Super Bowl game. As a 12 point underdog that put nine rookies in the game, they fought the Patriots teeth to teeth in front of billions of eyes. The Patriots got their perfect regular season but the Giants won a perfect ending.

Offensively, I like the Giants continue to run the football up to the middle. One thing made me to scratch my head in the first half, however, was that they stopped the running game once they reached the “green zone” even though the running backs started to pick up first downs. I understand that they tried to score touchdown but abandoning running game deep in the Patriots’ territory contributes a lot to the lack of scores in the first half. Besides, the Giants offense was sabotaged by bad lucks in the first half as WR Steve Smith popped a catchable ball into the hands of the Patriots’ CB around the Patriots’ 10 yard line (another promising score drive was stalled).

The good thing is that the Giants didn’t give up though trailing behind for the most of the game. After leading the team to score a touchdown in 40 seconds over 71 yards in the Dallas game, Eli Manning did it again against the Patriots. This time was 83 yards in 2 minutes. The play that he scrambled out from the pack of the Patriots players and zipped the ball to the WR Tyree, who made a spectacular acrobatic catch (how the heck did he manage not to drop the ball?), will be remembered as one of the greatest in the Super Bowl history.

Throughout the game, the Giants’ passing attack game plans stick to basic fundamental, no fancy trick plays except play actions (we did see the Hail Mary before the end of the first half). The WRs were the primary receiving targets (4 different WRs). The rookie TE Kevin Boss caught only one ball on a TE post route but this one was one of the most impacted catches to the game (40 plus yard gain), which set up the Giants first TD. It is surprising that the Giants didn’t run any screen play and didn’t have an attempt pass to their running backs when facing the gang rushing from the Patriots. The WR ran basic curl route, cross route, slant but they were not afraid to throw the deep ball to the endzone once for a while. WR Plaxico Burgess ran a perfect fade route (still don’t know how he cut with one bad ankle and one bad knee) and caught the game winning TD at the last Giants offensive drive.

过 has complained repeatedly that every team the Patriots faced has incompetent defense this season and no one could stop the march of the Patriots. Now here we have the New York Giants defense. I believe that their performance should satisfy 过. The Patriots, like the Dallas Cowboys, has a 3-probowler offensive line but the Giants defensive line simply played better and they showed that they wanted the Super Bowl more. Mixing with blitz packages (kudos to the Giants DC Steve Spangulo’s game plans), DE Justin Tuck sacked Tom Brady twice from the left side. The sack king, Michael Strahan, got his sack from the right. At the last New England offensive drive, the rookie DT Jay Alford bull-rushed and pounded Tom Brady to the ground like an unstoppable train.

Similar to the NFC championship game in Green Bay, the Giants took away the Patriots’ running game. Tom Brady was forced to throw over 40 times. The Giants were actually more concerned about WR Wes Welker, who had a great season, than Randy Moss. CB Corey Webster played well and kept Randy Moss in check until he slipped and let Randy Moss to score an easy touchdown when there were 2:40 left on the clock. Opposite the Giants, the Patriots ran a lot of WR screens and didn't throw long ball until the last moment.

When a reporter asked how Tom Brady felt about Plaxico’s prediction of New England scoring 17 point in this game during media conference, Tom giggled and replied:”Do you believe that we only score 17 points?” You are right, Mr. Brady. Your team didn’t score 17 points but 14.

Like the defense, the special team didn’t start the game well (gave up a 40 yard kick return) but they played solid for the rest of the game. Kick returns didn’t do well like the last three playoff games but the offensive unit brought them to victory.

The Giants rookie LB Zak DeOssie said it the best during the post game interview (His father also won one super bowl ring with the Giants in 1990). ”We played as one”. He proclaimed, “Don’t underestimate the power of one.” It is the accurate conclusion of the Giants in Super Bowl XLII game.

所有跟帖: 

I like what I read in the newspaper this morning -nuxrl- 给 nuxrl 发送悄悄话 nuxrl 的博客首页 (27 bytes) () 02/04/2008 postreply 09:03:02

回复:NY came in as a 12-point underdog. -T.O- 给 T.O 发送悄悄话 (644 bytes) () 02/04/2008 postreply 09:25:28

NY被LV低估了,这两军对垒是没所谓不可完成的任务 -车头- 给 车头 发送悄悄话 车头 的博客首页 (92 bytes) () 02/04/2008 postreply 10:33:53

If given enough time, any QB including Ryan Leaf could be -Giantfan- 给 Giantfan 发送悄悄话 (4 bytes) () 02/04/2008 postreply 10:55:41

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”