hello from Hawaii--miserable start

来源: moab 2006-12-28 03:13:14 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (4039 bytes)
Hello night owls, it's only 12:50am here in Honolulu. Only 3:50am Mountain Time ( I am still on that clock).

Thought I'd wait till after I got back to write this up, but I couldn't wait. Need to let it out (and dump it on you guys. :-))

First day and a few lessons learned already. The first has to do with making reservations. I had a connection at Kona the big island. What I didn't realize though, is the flight from SLC is a Boeing 767. It's got a good population of passengers, and my seat was in the very back. Being a procrastinator, I didn't bother to check the connection flight time, assuming if Orgitz can book it, I can make it, no matter what. The flight was boring (6hours 32 minutes; I'd rather drive if I can). But I enjoyed taking pictures off the air during landing. My first impression of the big island is, well, really its airport, is rudimentary. Hard to believe it's even called "international airport". Not just the airport consists of just a few pavilian type of buildings, but rather it's poorly managed and is far from being efficient. There are not a lot visual signs for directions, there's nobody at the information desk, and most of all, people there speak a different kind of English. (okay, not just their fault, I speak broken English too. :-)) Anyway, the first kiosk couldn't find my flight information, and by the time I was able to get the second kiosk to work, it says "your flight has departed". Great. This is just want I needed. So I checked with the counter, and was told the next flight was 6:30pm, but is already full. So I got a 8:35pm boarding pass, the last flight for the night, and meanwhile I was on standing by. Later while searching for a restaurant I ran into a few familiar faces, all were on the same flight from SLC. Obviously I was not the only one missing that connection. Made me feel a little better. So I was at the boarding gate 6:30 sharp, and waited like 40 minutes before they actually board the passengers. Punctuality doen't seem to mean much here. Anyway, they have four spots available, and I was one of the lucky ones. I can see the people behind me turning green as I rushed toward the plane. Well at least this is not a totally disaster. Lesson: leave enough time between connection flights. If you are going to Hawaii, plan 2.5 hours at least IMO.

I thought I was now on a lucky streak till when I was ready to drive to the hotel. Alamo had only one upgrade option, and that's for a wrangler. I decided to pass. If it's a Grand Cherokee I'd take it. I kind of see this trip mainly of pavement driving and wrangler's road manner lacks refinement. Anyway I got to the hotel just to find out they require guests to reserve the parking permits because there's only a limited number available. I am on the waiting list, number, .... 13, to be exact. Holy grief, the clerk threw a map at me and draw three options: 1) park along the road (if I can find one; and lucky me, tomorrow is not tow day). 2) a paying lot good for 12 hours; 3) parking lot of food pantry, but need to move it before 7am. Well I am not a picky person. Whatever works. Yeah, if it's that simple. I drove the area for like an hour. Couldn't find that paying lot, there's no spot on alongside the road, and just when I thought I will make an effort to get up early to move the car, the direction leads me to a no entry street. Well, what you know. At least I now know where the name brand stores are. There's also a whole bunch of ABC stores (chain) in the area so I grabbed some mineral water and cookies. Luckily on my last round I found a spot. That's good for today. Let tomorrow worry about it as it comes. Lesson: ask hotel if parking permit needs to be reserved in advance. I've been living in small towns for so long I got spoiled. This and a few other things reminds me why I don't like big cities in the first place.

Okay that's it for now. Hope this may be of any hlep for you guys planning such a trip soon.

所有跟帖: 

I am your first identified victim :-) -冬梦- 给 冬梦 发送悄悄话 冬梦 的博客首页 (286 bytes) () 12/28/2006 postreply 06:17:43

truce? :-) -moab- 给 moab 发送悄悄话 moab 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/29/2006 postreply 03:44:54

As you wish, sir ;-) -冬梦- 给 冬梦 发送悄悄话 冬梦 的博客首页 (57 bytes) () 12/30/2006 postreply 12:37:38

Sorry to hear that. Wish you better luck later. -xux- 给 xux 发送悄悄话 xux 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/28/2006 postreply 10:08:04

have a great trip, take lots of pictures -carnival- 给 carnival 发送悄悄话 carnival 的博客首页 (170 bytes) () 12/28/2006 postreply 10:08:57

I had a 8+ hour delay in connectin flight in Hawaii -阿姗- 给 阿姗 发送悄悄话 阿姗 的博客首页 (237 bytes) () 12/28/2006 postreply 11:31:01

8+ hours? You are kidding. First I was thinking about -moab- 给 moab 发送悄悄话 moab 的博客首页 (322 bytes) () 12/29/2006 postreply 03:42:35

they told us not to leave the terminal -阿姗- 给 阿姗 发送悄悄话 阿姗 的博客首页 (306 bytes) () 12/29/2006 postreply 10:24:53

haha, get used to airports in Hawaii! -Lvtotravel- 给 Lvtotravel 发送悄悄话 (647 bytes) () 12/28/2006 postreply 12:31:58

yeah, points well taken. But can't promise I will -moab- 给 moab 发送悄悄话 moab 的博客首页 (577 bytes) () 12/29/2006 postreply 03:35:57

until you miss an important connection ... -Lvtotravel- 给 Lvtotravel 发送悄悄话 (1507 bytes) () 12/29/2006 postreply 08:25:23

好事多磨,祝新年快乐! -py11- 给 py11 发送悄悄话 py11 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/28/2006 postreply 12:57:28

Good luck and happy new year! -lfu00- 给 lfu00 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 12/28/2006 postreply 13:37:49

thanks all. -moab- 给 moab 发送悄悄话 moab 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/29/2006 postreply 03:45:33

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”