To Pony: why staying in the U.S. can help Chinese people in the

来源: mikecwu 2006-08-13 20:15:07 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2943 bytes)
Pony,

Chinese in the U.S. and other developed countries do have a better life than people in China. But we still do not have 1st class citizen status in the world. In the U.S. Chinese were barred from coming in during the 18th century, and those who were in here were forbidden to bring their wives with them, and were forbidden to marry women other than Chinese. In other words, they were treated like animals, only brought here to work, not allowed to have offspring to "pollute" this white country. Chinese, like other Asians, were not allowed to gain citizenship, and were not allowed to own lands. Asians were only allowed to immigrate like others since the 1960's. That is why despite the fact that Asians represent 60% of the world population, there are only 4% of Asian population in the U.S. today.

Today average Chinese make more money than average Americans, that's because Chinese have far higher educational level than average Americans. Chinese still make far less money than Whites with same level of education. Aspiring Chinese American Rock & Roll singers still have to go to Asia for a career. These are real facts we need to understand, that Chinese are not full fledged citizens in the U.S.

In other parts of the world, situation is not much better. There was this recent anti-Chinese movement in Indonesia where ethnic Chinese were harassed and persecuted, and Chinese government had to fly them back to China.

Imagine what a strong Chinese American presence in the U.S. can do for ethnic Chinese in the world. If Chinese Americans occupy a 3rd, or even a 4th of the U.S. population, and one 3rd U.S. congress is represented by ethnic Chinese, you think any country will dare to touch ethnic Chinese in the world? If Israel has no U.S. backing, you think they can be so bully in the Middle East? You think U.S. government will try hard to prevent unification between China and Taiwan?

If we focus on building a strong Chinese presence in the U.S., we can do a lot more than flocking back to China to try to build it stronger. China has more labor and talent inside than it will ever need. But what Chinese people need in the world is a strong presence in other parts of the world. If we go back to China to build it strong so it can fight the U.S., nobody will win. If we stay here and make U.S. a China-friendly country, everyone wins.

I am not stupid, I want a good life for myself and my family. But what a better way to provide a good life for myself and my children than building a strong Chinese community in the U.S., and a strong Chinese presence in the world? If we think about our people’s future, not our immediate life, we will be able to secure the future of our children, and our children’s children for generations to come. If we only focus on making money for now, our children’s future is not guaranteed and they will forever be second class citizens.

所有跟帖: 

r u saying u r staying to sacrifice 4 ur children? -Dukeboy- 给 Dukeboy 发送悄悄话 (130 bytes) () 08/13/2006 postreply 20:28:22

因为在中国有太多的人梦想得到美国式的教育 -灰蒙蒙的天空- 给 灰蒙蒙的天空 发送悄悄话 (46 bytes) () 08/13/2006 postreply 20:39:00

that is why we need to go back and educate them not -Dukeboy- 给 Dukeboy 发送悄悄话 (31 bytes) () 08/13/2006 postreply 20:47:27

你应该马上回去 -灰蒙蒙的天空- 给 灰蒙蒙的天空 发送悄悄话 (66 bytes) () 08/13/2006 postreply 20:52:41

i am spreading the seeds anywhere i can. btw, i am -Dukeboy- 给 Dukeboy 发送悄悄话 (17 bytes) () 08/13/2006 postreply 20:57:40

does ur hubby want to go home and you try to block? -Dukeboy- 给 Dukeboy 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 08/13/2006 postreply 20:48:57

college 美国式的教育 is good. but no good for young -Dukeboy- 给 Dukeboy 发送悄悄话 (114 bytes) () 08/13/2006 postreply 20:51:23

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”