Minimum qualification

来源: borisg 2005-10-28 07:32:06 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 0 次 (1773 bytes)
Here is what I consider the minimum requirement for various levels of scientists (only the academic aspect; I do not consider teaching experience here). I hope those who are familiar with the academic world would agree with me.

1. As a Ph. D: main contributor to 3 SCI papers in a single field.

2. Assistant Professor: main contributor to 5 SCI papers in two fields (combined), and significant contributor to 10 SCI papers(including the previously mentioned ones).

3. Associate Professor: main contributor to 10 SCI papers in at least two fields; significant contributor to 15 SCI papers. Supervisory experience of at least 2 postdoctoral or graduate assistants. Principal investigator of at least one significant grant.

4. Full Professor: main contributor to 15 SCI papers in at least two fields; significant contributor to 25 SCI papers. Supervisory experience of at least 5 postdoctoral or graduate assistants. Principal investigator of least two significant grants. Coordinator of at least 1 international academic activities.

Please keep in mind that there is a time interval of 3-4 years between each level, so this is a fair estimate of the amount of research work of a maturing scientist should be able to do.

A 3-SCI associate professor? I probably won't hire him for a posdoc. A search committee would consider a candidate's ability to work independently and to move to new fields; that's why there have to be significant work in at least two fields. Fresh Ph. Ds, unless the very best ones, still need considerable amount of guidence to be "out of the nest." I put this period to 1-2 years. If he couldn't move (QUICKLY) beyond what he has learned in his Ph.D years then his academic future is a dead end.

所有跟帖: 

回复:Minimum qualification -141208- 给 141208 发送悄悄话 (42 bytes) () 10/28/2005 postreply 16:19:38

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”