My opinion

来源: borisg 2005-08-24 07:35:10 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 0 次 (1977 bytes)
You raised a legitimate question.

There are two factors that distinguish China from ASEAN countries fundamentally. One is the sheer size, the momentum associated with it when such a huge country is set on a move. The other is the sharp contrast in terms of economic development and income both geographically and demographically. This gradient of social inequality facilitates the flow of both labor and capital. Just as western industries are outsourcing all sorts of business to developing countries, the same thing is happening from the rich areas in China to poor ones. Because of its size, such movement will continue for many, many years in China, while economies of smaller size become homogenized quickly.

My main concern is those constraints not from pure economic aspects. It is just impossible to imagine the amount of material resources China would consume giving the same rate of growth for another 10 years (which I believe is possible were not for those constraints I am discussing), and the environmental impact associated with it. There may be improvement of environmental quality in the rich areas as income and awareness grow, but the less developed areas will be receiving out-dated technology and polluting factories. If the material consumption and pollution multiples as GDP, we will be facing a potential disaster that could have negative impact on millions for generations (pollution causes gene mutations). Are we really going on this path?

The delemma is, if China does not grow rapidly (with whatever human costs), there are plenty of less developed peoples who are willing to fill in. You miss the train, then there won't be another one. Just take India for example(which, in my opinion, is in an even more hopeless situation). The option of slow growth while the population drops to a more acceptable level simply does not exist. It's a crazy situation as all the peoples on this globe fight for the resources for survival.

所有跟帖: 

my prediction -upsidedown- 给 upsidedown 发送悄悄话 (331 bytes) () 08/24/2005 postreply 07:49:36

回复:my prediction -aegis- 给 aegis 发送悄悄话 (112 bytes) () 08/24/2005 postreply 10:19:32

not really -hg1001- 给 hg1001 发送悄悄话 (311 bytes) () 08/25/2005 postreply 03:19:05

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”